Monday, December 21, 2009

Chocolate Candy Cane Cookies

I made these cookies from the Pioneer Woman last year, but didn't actually like them too much. The cookie itself was just to dry and tasteless, so this year, I tried them again by modifying a different recipe for chocolate cookies to make them a little firmer so they would dip well. The recipe worked wonderfully and I think this will be my new favorite Christmas cookie.


1/2 cup butter or shortening (the original recipe called for shortening, but I prefer butter)
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
5-6 Tbsp cocoa
4 cups flour (I used just short of 4 cups, they seemed to be getting a little dry)
1 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 pkg. white almond bark or white chocolate chips
Crushed peppermint candy

Cream shortening and sugar. Add eggs and vanilla and beat well. Sift dry ingredients together and add to sugar mixture. Roll into small balls and bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. Immediately flatten cookies when they are removed from the oven.

When cookies are cooled, melt white chocolate chips or white almond bark. Dip half the cookie in the melted chocolate and then dip in crushed candy canes or peppermint lozenges. Set on waxed paper to cool.

1 comment:

Kelli said...

I'll have to try these--I tried PW's recipe last year too, and although the presentation was beautiful, I agree that they just weren't all that tasty!