Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Aebleskiver

Don't worry if you can't pronounce the name -- my kids call them "evil schemers." Whatever works. These are Danish pancakes that are traditionally served on Christmas morning. I have a lot of Danish ancestors, but never tried these until I visited one of my Ricks College roommates at her parent's house. Her mom always made them on Christmas morning, and apparently on other special occasions like when roommates come to visit! They were delicious, so when I got married, I found myself an Aebleskiver pan. You will need one for this recipe, but it's worth the $15 because they are so good. The pans are cast iron and usually have small cups for 7 aebleskiver to cook at a time.

I'm not much of a breakfast casserole person, so this is our special Christmas morning breakfast. We also have it on General Conference Sundays.

Danish Aebleskiver

2 eggs, divided
1 Tbsp sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 cup buttermilk (or stir 1 tsp lemon juice or vinegar into a cup of regular milk and allow it to sit for a few minutes)
4 Tbsp butter

Beat egg yolks until light and fluffy; add the sugar and salt. Sift the flour with baking powder and baking soda, add to egg mixture alternately with the buttermilk. In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until stiff. Gently fold into batter. Heat the Aebleskiver pan over low-medium heat. You don't want it too hot. Place a small pat of butter into each of the Aebleskiver cups and heat until butter is foamy. Drop about a tablespoon of batter into each cup - fill them about 2/3 full. Cook for a few minutes until brown on the bottom and then use a fork to turn and allow the other side to cook.

Remove from pan and serve with a variety of good stuff - my favorite combination is butter and cinnamon-sugar. Floyd likes strawberry jam and powdered sugar or maple syrup poured over the top. However we eat them, we never have any left over. In fact, I've recently started doubling the batch because my kiddo's gobble up so many.

1 comment:

Lindsey said...

Oh Katie. . .I bet that Ricks college room mate was just awesome! And her mother is just an angel sent from heaven to make those special even though it wasn't Christmas. Man were you so lucky to be introduced to such a wonderful treat! :)