Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Mac Daddy Pasta


This is a recipe I tried to replicate from Barry's favorite pasta dish at a local restaurant. After many misses, I think I finally got it pretty close. Now we won't have to go out every time he has a craving!! (sorry in advance--my next task will be to try to pare down the fat in this dish!)

2 T. butter
2 C. heavy cream
1 C. low sodium chicken broth
½ C. half and half
4 cloves minced garlic
1 large jar marinated artichoke hearts
Canadian Bacon, diced into large pieces (just toss in as much as you'd like)
Pepperoni, diced into large pieces (ditto on the amount)
1/2 C. sliced mushrooms (more or less, depending on your taste)
1 ½ C. shredded Pepper Jack cheese
½ C. parmesan
1/4 C. milk mixed with 2 T. flour
¾ t. red pepper flakes
Dash cayenne pepper
Salt and pepper to taste
*Kalamata Olives (optional--if you decide to use them, add with pepperoni, ham, mushrooms, and artichokes) I usually omit these, because Barry doesn't really like them.

Melt butter in large, deep sided saucepan (or dutch oven). Add garlic, crushed red pepper, and cayenne. Saute about 1 minute. Add pepperoni, ham, mushrooms, and artichoke hearts and sauté about 1-2 minutes. Add cream, broth, and half and half. Bring to a boil and then reduce to low and simmer about 5-7 minutes, until slightly thickened. Add Pepper Jack and Parmesan cheeses. Whisk flour into milk and then add to sauce. Season with salt and pepper. Simmer for a couple of minutes, to desired thickness. (sauce will thicken more as it cools). Add 1 large box cooked penne pasta. (more or less, depending on how “saucy” you want it!)

3 comments:

Julie said...

Yeah! I have been dying to make this ever since tasting it at your house. YUM!

Julie said...

I hate to be a pest, but I am really craving your bread sticks, too!! (Can I bug you for that salad recipe? Okay I'll stop:) I am heading to the store today to get the ingredients for the mac daddy!!

Traci said...

In behalf of pasta lovers everywhere, I say, THANK YOU,THANK YOU, KELLI!!! I can't wait to try this! I need to go grocery shopping this week, and you can rest assured, that these ingredients will be on my list!! You're great! Keep up the posts!!!