Sunday, March 1, 2009

Easy Breadsticks


We are carb lovers at our house, and breadsticks are no exception. I've tried a lot of different "quick" and "easy" breadstick recipes, and this one is my favorite. It really is quick and easy, plus they're yummy'!

1 1/2 C. warm water
2 T. sugar
1 C. butter, melted
1 T yeast
3 1/4 C flour
1/2 tsp salt
garlic powder, kosher salt, parmesan

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Dissolve yeast in water. Add sugar. Make dough with yeast mixture, flour and salt. Dough will be very sticky, add flour as necessary while kneading. the trick is to keep the dough as wet as possible, yet still workable. Knead for three minutes (really!! only three minutes--no need to even get out the kitchenaid/bosch!) and let rise for 10 minutes. Roll out right away on a floured surface to about 1/2 inch thick. Cut dough into strips and dip into buter. (Or, be lazy like me and just cut off lumps of dough then roll into sticks). I usually twist my breadsticks. Place onto baking sheets. Sprinkle with garlic, salt, and parmesan. Let rise for 15-20 minutes. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Brush with remaining butter.

1 comment:

Camille said...

Thank you for posting these- they were so delicious! After I go shopping, I'll have to make some for my family. The cupboard is a little bare, since I really haven't been cooking much of anything lately!