Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Pineapple Chicken

This recipe was actually created by my husband. My dad didn't even pour the cereal himself while I was growing up, so it was a pleasant surprise to marry a husband who can cook! He is a never-follow-a-recipe sort of cooker. It seems to work for him. I like this dish because I can put it all in the saucepan and then let it simmer. Anything requiring that I stay in the kitchen gets a little tricky at our house.

Ingredients:

3/4 lb. chicken breast, sliced in strips or chunks (whichever you prefer)
1 can pineapple chunks
1 green pepper, sliced
1/2 cup chopped carrots
1/2 medium onion, sliced
3/4 - 1 1/4 cups brown sugar
1 Tbsp. soy sauce
1 Tbsp. teriyaki sauce
Cooked rice (However much your family will eat and prepared the way you prefer)

Directions:

Put chicken breast, green pepper, and onions in a large saucepan. Brown chicken slightly (I usually cook it until there is just a little uncooked skin showing).



Once the chicken is browned, add about 1/2 of the can of pineapple plus about 2 Tbsp of the pineapple juice, carrots, soy sauce, teriyaki sauce, and about half the brown sugar.


Now this is the easy part - just put on a lid and simmer for about 20-30 minutes. About halfway through, add the rest of the brown sugar. There's really no reason that you can't add it all at the beginning - I just do it that way because I always check it part of the way through and decide it needs more brown sugar (it will depend on how thick you want your sauce). Here's what mine looked like after it had simmered about 15 minutes and I added more brown sugar:



The cooking time can vary depending on when you are ready to eat, when the rice is ready, and how tender you want your vegetables. Once you are ready, just scoop a bunch of sauce over the rice and enjoy.

No comments: