Sunday, December 7, 2008

Vegetarian Chili

This is one of my favorite recipes. It's easy and fast, really good for you, and DELICIOUS! I often make this soup at the first of the week and then eat it every day for lunch.

1 T. olive oil
2C cholpped onion
3 garlic cloves, minced
4 C water, divided
2 T. sugar
2 T. chili powder
2 T. worcestershire sauce
2 (14.5 oz) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
1 (15 1/2 oz) can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
1 (15 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 (15 0z) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained (I sometimes double the kidney beans)
1 (15 0z) can pinto beans, rinsed and drianed
1 (6 oz ) can tomato paste

1. Heat oil in a large dutch oven over medium high heat. Add onion and garlic; saute 3 minutes or until tender. Add 3 cups water and next 8 ingredients, stirring to combine.

2. Combine remaining cup of water and tomato paste in a bowl, stirring with a whisk until blended. Stir tomato paste mixture into bean mixture. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated through. Serve with shredded cheese, if desired.

* You can use any combination of beans that you like--cannellini, great northern, etc. These are just my favorites.

nutritional info per 1 1/2 C. soup (this is a good sized portion--very full bowl!) Calories 276; Fat 3.5 g (sat .3g, mono 1.3g, poly 1 g); Protein 12.7 g; Carb 49.7g; Fiber 14.7g; Chol 0g; iron 4.2 mg; Sodium 587 mg; calc 107 mg.

Original recipe published in Cooking Light (hence the nutritional info--no, I don't have a scientific analysis lab in the kitchen!)

1 comment:

Karlee Christiansen said...

Wow, looks yummy. I hope this blog is still around when I get married and start cooking. Well, I suppose if it's not, my sisters still will be.