Tuesday, December 23, 2008

OSM (Oat, Sunflower, Millet) Bread

I love to eat breakfast at the Bunnery in Jackson Hole, Wyoming. I especially love their OSM bread. After Barry and I went to Jackson this fall, I came home and searched the internet for a recipe for OSM bread. But to no avail. So, I made up my own. I think I've finally gotten it good enough to write it down! I'm posting it now because it's going to be great with the white chicken chili I'm making tonight, thanks to Kate's recipe!

OSM bread
2 1/4- 2 1/2 C. warm water
1 1/2 T. active dry yeast
1/2 C. honey
5/8 C. canola oil
1 T. salt
1/2 C. rolled oats
1/3 C. sunflower seeds
1/4 C. millet
6 C. whole wheat flour
1/2 C. white flour

Measure water into a large bowl. Add yeast and 3 C. flour and mix well. Cover and let rise 20 -30 minutes. Add remaining ingredients and mix well. Knead for 8-10 minutes, until dough passes a windowpane test. (dough will stretch and look like a windowpane rather than tear.) Add flour or water as necessary--you want the dough to leave a little residue on your finger when tested, but not stick like glue. Cover and let rise until doubled (usually just over an hour for me). Shape into two loaves and place in pans. Allow to rise and double again. Bake about 25-30 minutes at 350 degrees.

If you're going to make this bread, or any other bread, I highly suggest you stop by my friend Camille's blog and read Connie's bread making tips--they've greatly helped my efforts! http://www.camilleskitchen.blogspot.com/

3 comments:

Karlee Christiansen said...

I think I had 9 pieces of this bread over Christmas, yum!

Camille said...

Yeah! I'm adding millet and sunflower seeds to the grocery list! The loaf you shared with me was delicious!

Jeff said...

Kelli,
Barry shared your blog with me to forward on to my wife, Michele. She enjoys cooking also. We LOVED the OSM bread you and Barry gave us for Christmas and appreciate the time you took to post the recipe online for everyone. It was great to meet you at the recent BLM retirement party and look forward to more fun on future occasions. -Jeff Cundick