Sunday, September 13, 2009

Garlic Rosemary Bread

This is one of my very favorite bread recipes. I got it years ago from a KSL cooking segment. I had a scare a couple of weeks ago and couldn't find my recipe. Luckily, KSL still had their copy archived, so I was able to get it. That little episode has recommitted me to posting my recipes! I've lost a couple of favorite recipes over the years, and it is so frustrating! So, my recipes may not always have pictures, but I do hope to do a better job of posting so I can have a digital record of my recipes--especially since my dilapidated little recipe box is bursting at the seams and getting more disorganized every day!
  • 2 cups milk, lukewarm
  • 1/3 cup sugar (5 1/2 tablespoons)
  • 4 teaspoons active dry yeast (3 teaspoons bread machine yeast)
  • 5 cups flour
  • 1 tablespoon salt
  • 2 tablespoons crushed rosemary
  • 1-2 cloves garlic, crushed (I usually use 3-4--but I love garlic and have never ever used only 1-2 cloves in ANYTHING!)
  • 1 egg white
Method:

Place warm milk in mixer bowl, add sugar and yeast and begin to knead on low speed. Slowly add 2 cups flour and continue to knead while adding salt, rosemary and garlic. Gradually add remaining flour to make a soft dough. Dough should be stiff enough to clean away from sides of bowl.

Knead 5 minutes. Remove dough hook, cover with plastic wrap, which has been sprayed with non-stick spray. Place in warm area and allow to rise until double in bulk.

FINISHING DIRECTIONS: Preheat oven to 350 F. Remove dough from pan and knead out excess air. Divide dough in half (if using bread machine portions - leave in one loaf). Roll each half into an eighteen-inch long rope. Place loaves on greased cookie sheet.

Using sharp knife, cut 1/4 inch deep diagonal slashes along length of loaf. Cover pan with plastic wrap, which has been sprayed with non-stick spray, and allow to rise until almost double in bulk.

Remove plastic wrap. Beat together egg white with 1-tablespoon water and brush tops of loaves. Place in preheated oven and bake for 20-25 minutes. Remove from pan to cool.

Makes 2 baguette loaves.

This bread makes great garlic bread and awesome croutons (just cut into bite-sized pieces and toss in some butter or olive oil, then toast in the oven until crunchy). It also freezes well. I often cut it into slices, then freeze it and get out individual slices when I need them--also really good toasted from the freezer, and dipped in balsamic vinegar and olive oil. I could go on and on, I love this bread!


No comments: