Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Corn Bread

When I make chili, I almost always make corn bread and honey butter to go with it. A few weeks ago, it felt like fall for the first time so chili and corn bread were on the menu that night. Today is even colder and rainier (here at my house, anyway). I love this recipe for corn bread - it comes from "The Essential Mormon Cookbook." For the chili, I used this recipe. For the chili, I don't care for pinto beans, so I always substitute Great Northern.



Corn Bread

1/2 cup butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 cups yellow cornmeal
1 1/2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups milk

Cream butter, sugar, and eggs. In a separate bowl, blend cornmeal, flour, baking powder, and salt. Combine creamed mixture, dry mixture, and milk. Blend. Bake in a greased 8X8" pan at 375 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes.

And just in case you've never made it before, here is how to make honey butter.

Honey Butter

1 cube room temperature butter (try not to just soften it in the microwave - it works much better if the entire cube is a consistent temperature)
3-4 Tbsp honey

Put butter and honey together in a bowl. Beat with electric mixer until fluffy and well-combined. You can add a little more or less honey, it just depends on how sweet you want it.

No comments: