Friday, June 26, 2009

Butterscotch cookies

These cakey little cookies are some of our family favorites. I got the recipe from my mom. I thought I had already posted them here, in fact I know I took a picture of them. But I can't find the post (or the picture!) so if it's a repeat, I'm sorry.

Cream together:
1/2 Cup shortening (I know, I know. I don't usually use shortening either, but trust me--don't try to substitute anything for it.)
1 1/2 Cups brown sugar
2 eggs

Cream until the batter lightens in texture and color. You'll actually see a change.

Stir in:

1 Cup (NOT 1 can) evaporated milk
1 tsp. vanilla

Sift together and stir in:

3 Cups flour (maybe just a little less, depending on how rounded you like them--less flour=flatter cookies)
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp soda

Drop by spoonfuls onto greased cookie sheet. Bake 8-12 minutes at 350.

Glaze:

1/3 Cup butter
3 Cups powdered sugar
5 TBSP. hot water

spread glaze over still warm cookies.

1 comment:

Camille said...

Thank you for posting this recipe and for sharing us some of the cookies. They were delicious!