Monday, January 12, 2009

Macaroni and Cheese

My husband's gone this week, which means I will be cooking very little. While he's away, this dish and Shepherd's Pie are about the only things I cook. Two things that are not really my husband's favorites, but the kids both devour them. So here it is...

2-3 cups dry elbow macaroni (I usually use about 3)
2 Tbsp butter
1 clove minced garlic
3 Tbsp flour
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp mustard
2 1/2 cups milk
2 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese

Cook macaroni and set aside. Melt butter in medium saucepan and add minced garlic. Saute. Stir in flour, salt, and dry mustard. Cook one minute. Gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Remove from heat and stir in 2 cups cheese and macaroni. Place in a baking dish and sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake uncovered at 400 degrees for ten to twenty minutes - until cheese is browned and cheese is bubbly.

Enjoy!

No comments: